Content

DIY; Soft box

It was during my stay in Mohali that i thought of taking shots of whatever little was available with me as I didn't get much time to move out.

I got hold of this DIY technique of making a soft box. It was probably the simplest way of making the box.
Following are the items that i used:
1. a carton (that was a beer carton! :p)
2. trace paper
3. chart paper (black)
4. tape, glue, thermacol etc.
And here goes the procedure: The base of the carton is kept intact while the side facing you needs to be removed completely. Rest four sides are cut keeping 1 inch border intact so that enough space is left for pasting the tracing paper.

Once the box is made, all you need is a light source. A continuous one would do. I used a 60 watt bulb here. The box helped me convert the harsh light from the source to soft light. Hence a soft box!!



Result:






and these were without a tripod too!

. Live . Laugh . Love .

4 comments:

Himanshu at: March 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM said...

hi ...
reached to your blog after reading your article at DPS ..

u have really got gud tallent and justifying ur SLR ...

i am trying to build up some pace before i buy a slr ...

u can check my work at flickr (sent u friend request - hsachdevah) ...

keep clicking,
Himanshu

Prateek Ahuja at: March 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM said...

I will surely add you on flickr. And thanks for reading the article! :)

Phaedrus at: April 8, 2010 at 12:39 PM said...

Thanks a ton for this article. I will defintely make one 4 myself now. I admire your pictures on Flickr and have added you to my contacts. You can check out my Flickr stream through Flickriver here. Will defintely like to stay in touch and receive your feedback. Thank you.

Prateek Ahuja at: April 8, 2010 at 7:09 PM said...

Thanks a lot Rye. Liked your style. You have some amazing shots in your photostream.

Contact us

Flickr Photos

Social Networks

Creative Commons License
Purple Karma by Prateek Ahuja/ Purple Karma is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at purple-karma.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://purple-karma.com.

Copyright © 2011 All images on this site are property of Prateek Ahuja, unless otherwise stated. Please do not replicate any original photographs from this blog without permission. You may only use a photograph for non-commercial purpose only if you link back to that particular post with proper credit. Also, photographs on this website cannot be altered in any way. Thank You.